Thursday, July 1, 2021

CONCEPT ARTISTS DISCUSS OVERWATCH SUMMER GAMES

 Imagine yourself on the beach - you are comfortably sitting on a cute towel and sunbathing on the beautiful Mediterranean beach of Ilios. You hear the rustle of the sea breeze, whose soft breeze is accompanied by the measured song of the surf. Just wonderful. A real summer paradise.


For the time being.


A loud scream pulls you out of your dreams. " No surfing in the swimming area !" - Shouted, apparently, the lifeguard. You hear the sound of a stream of water - like the jets of two cannons hitting directly into a sand dune. You look with curiosity in the direction of the disturber of your peace and see ... the lifeguard? Flying through the air in the direction of a gaping surfer caught up in a wave? On a water jetpack?


Farrah's Lifeguard skin is the perfect combination of a futuristic lifeguard and a watersports-inspired jetpack instead of the usual combat suit - just one of eight skins that the Overwatch concept team has created for Summer 2020. Each year, contributors This team is working together to come up with skins that players can show off while having fun in the sun in Overwatch. We met with concept artists Kejun Wang and Daryl Teng, creators of the Fescarn skins for Brigitte and the Lifeguard for Farrah, and discussed their workflow and how they came up with the two newest skins for the Summer Games in Overwatch.  skins.


What are your sources of inspiration? How did you get started in the video game industry?


Kejun Wang: “As a child, I often watched Dragon Ball and other anime, and in the classroom all the time I drew pictures in textbooks about those TV shows. In high school and college, I spent a lot of time playing Blizzard games, including StarCraft, Diablo, Diablo II, and World of Warcraft. When I played World of Warcraft, I visited a Chinese forum called National Geography of Azeroth, and there I found a fan art section. I was amazed to learn that people can draw and color images electronically using tablets. After that, I bought a cheap tablet and started creating my first World of Warcraft drawing. As I became acquainted with the world of electronic painting, I was carried away by the sphere of concept art. I realized that I wanted to devote my life to a career as a concept artist, and in the end it brought me to the USA,


Daryl Tan : “Much to my mom’s annoyance, I have been an avid video game fan since childhood, and therefore dreamed of becoming a developer when I grew up. And I have always loved to draw, so I couldn't think of a better job than a concept artist for myself. After graduating from college, I was involved in mobile game development for a couple of years before joining the Overwatch team at Blizzard. "




What is your favorite thing about developing Overwatch and creating these skins?


Wang : “My favorite trait of the Overwatch development team is their relentless pursuit of the highest quality. We interact with other team members on a daily basis to ensure that no mistakes are made anywhere and that everything is up to a high standard of quality. The most exciting part of creating skins for Overwatch is the ability to imagine how the chosen character would be in an alternate universe, where he has a different life and a different job. Also, when creating skins, it is necessary to study various topics, such as, for example, "the most common fish in the Baltic Sea" or "whether karatekas wear shoes." I always manage to learn something new. "


Ten : “I love taking a variety of themes and ideas, from easily recognizable to extremely abstract, and transforming our favorite Overwatch heroes with them. It's challenging and exciting at the same time. At Blizzard , we have a lot of autonomy and creativity, so creating skins is always fun. "


What is the most interesting part of the skin-making process for you?


Wang : “The best thing I remember was the creation of the headdress for the look of Brigitte Fescarn. I tried drawing different options, but most of them didn't look completely unfortunate. I remember making a few different sketches and showing them to the assistant art director. He offered to make a baseball cap for Brigitte, and I immediately liked his idea - I think it looks great with her. I also spoke with one of our producers, an avid angler, and learned that fishermen sometimes attach spare hooks to their hats - this served as the basis for additional detailing of Brigitte's headdress. "

Ten: “I love the whole process from start to finish. There is something special in every part of it. From the joy of a new idea and the formation of a cool image in your head to solving graphic problems, from teamwork with artists of any profile to the opportunity to finally see the finished look in the game. It is especially nice to see how the look develops after I have designed its concept. The final look, based on the concept art, exceeded all my expectations. Even after I turned in the concept art, I doubted that this look would turn out to be successful due to technical limitat

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW LEGENDARY SKINS: SKINS CREATION FOR THE 2021 OVERWATCH ARCHIVES EVENT

 The serpent fighter. Samurai. Two soldiers fighting for the opposing sides of the revolution. Four distant characters, united by a brush of...