Saturday, July 10, 2021

STROKE BY STROKE: OVERWATCH JAVIDRAWS ARTIST AND FAN ON GRAFFITI FOR SYMMETRA

 You probably did this too: sculpted a cloud of "Sorry" on the enemy's corpse after a brilliant murder that hit in the best moments of the match; pushed the load and littered it with a pixelated copy of their hero; turned the Wanted poster with McCree so that the face on the graffiti of a friend was right in the middle. Graffiti is found in Overwatch at every turn - like the crooked face of cute Moira on that rock in Hanamura, like snide messages in the replay player. The Overwatch development team has invited artists from the fan community to create truly spectacular graffiti dedicated to a wide variety of events.


Overwatch artist and player JaviDraws talks about the artist's craft, Symmetra, and the creation of graffiti for Symmetra's Restoration challenge .


How did you get involved in drawing professionally and why exactly comics and illustrations?


Since childhood, I liked to draw, I started uploading my work to the Internet at least ten years ago. After spending so much time in the online artist community, I wanted to turn my hobby into a career. At first I was more attracted to concept art, but over time my style and creativity gradually changed, and I was drawn to illustration and comics. I am very happy with my choice.


 

How do you manage to complete projects for your customers, devoting so much time to the games for which you create illustrations?


I work most productively in the morning. I take at least 5 hours a day to work, and leave the evening for games and other rest. I don't have days off, but I finish work earlier. For me, this kind of daily routine works best.


 

Why did you start playing Overwatch?


I never really liked first-person shooters, although I heard about Overwatch - when the first animated video came out, I immediately remembered it for its bright colorful style. Then my brother bought the game and gave it to me for a while, and I immediately ordered another copy for myself. Overwatch was awfully fun to play, and I wanted to try all the heroes.


 

What is your favorite character to draw?


All the characters are fun to draw in their own way, but to be honest, I love May the most. She is very cute, unlike many of the other characters, and my art style goes well with her design.


 

Who is your main character? Do you have a favorite role or do you play equally for everything?


I mostly play Angel, so it turns out my favorite role is support. It seems to me that this role is easier and calmer to play for, although many would certainly disagree with me. I also sometimes choose the role of a tank and play with pleasure as D.Va, Zarya or Winston.


 

What influences your creativity?


I feel inspired every morning when I scroll through the news feed and see the amazing work of artists who put their work on the web. I have watched Disney and Studio Ghibli since I was a kid and read a lot of shoujo manga, so they also greatly influenced my style. I also seek inspiration from photographers and fashion designers. 


 

Do you prefer illustration or comics?


I suppose both serve as a means by which I implement my ideas. The most important thing for me is to tell a story through creativity. Every time I decide what works best for expressing my feelings - an illustration or a comic strip. But when I draw comics, I enjoy the process more, because I can relax and not worry about mistakes. And if I draw illustrations, then I cannot overcome my perfectionism and advance with great difficulty.


 

Was working on the graffiti for the game different from your usual creative process?


I tried to make the graffiti stand out like stickers. That's not how I work on large illustrations. It seems to me that such small images are better not overloaded with details, because in fast-paced games like Overwatch, players should immediately recognize them.


 

How did you choose the theme of each of your graffiti for Symmetra?


I worked with the Overwatch team, and together we decided what all this graffiti should be about. I proceeded from both their advice and from the episodes from the story about Symmetra, which inspired me personally. As a result, we got 6 graffiti, which illustrate the story well and also demonstrate the character and image of Symmetra.

6 graffiti to challenge Symmetra "Restoration", artist JaviDraws

 

Where would you like to see your graffiti first?


I always put a bunch of graffiti on the door before the match and, of course, on the cargo. Therefore, these places are the first to come to mind. 


 

Which of your Overwatch works do you love the most?


Probably this picture of "Slasher-76" .


 Slasher-76 drawing by JaviDraws


 

What real world would you recreate in Overwatch?


I'd love to see a South Asian-style map in Overwatch. I myself am from Pakistan, this country has an incredibly rich and diverse culture, and the development team would have a lot to choose from. A map like this would look amazing.


 

What does Symmetra mean to you personally?


Being able to draw something for Overwatch i

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW LEGENDARY SKINS: SKINS CREATION FOR THE 2021 OVERWATCH ARCHIVES EVENT

 The serpent fighter. Samurai. Two soldiers fighting for the opposing sides of the revolution. Four distant characters, united by a brush of...